Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Email is so 2000

This NYT article is something I've been thinking, and practicing, for a while:  less and less email.  It's more time consuming, and dare I say arduous, than texting or blogging.  The main reason we started this blog was so that we could cut down on the mass emails to family and friends.  If you'd like to see/read what we're doing (and we'd like you to!), then check this common site.  It's too much trouble to put together emails.

Though I don't use it at home, I've started to use chat at work a lot more.  We just finally got it on our computers about three months ago.  Sad to say, I've even "chatted" people only 20 feet away from me.  It comes in very handy with people not in our building or in other cities.  Rather than have to look up a phone number, dial, put the card in, etc., you just pull the person's name up and type away.

I'm definitely not in the same league as the "Millenials," who text and facebook and twitter constantly, on everything.  We have a facebook account to see what Bobbins' friends and family are up to; I doubt we will ever start a twitter feed.  I'm sure ten years from now we'll be considered old fashioned and out of it for still blogging.  Who knows how quickly and effortlessly communication will move then.  MM and Josie will be "stuck" looking at their parents blog or sending them emails....

No comments:

Post a Comment