Majorly disappointed in the Supreme Court's Obamacare ruling today. I thought for sure it would be overturned. Even more surprising was that Chief Justice John Roberts went with the Left to uphold the abominable Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as it's officially known. I kept checking Drudge this morning for the announcement and was depressed when it finally came out about 7:15am AZ time. I honestly feel like this country as we know it is done for. That something like this passed Congress and was upheld in the Courts is a fundamental shift in the relationship between Americans and their gov't. No longer are we a country of liberty with a government of, by, and for the people. We will now be a social democracy based on government goodies and ruled by an elite class. Far cry from the free republic envisioned and instituted by the Founders. Guess it was good while it lasted. Sure wish my two little daughters weren't inheriting such a screwed-up system.
I know a lot of folks who are hopeful that the Opinion holding Obamacare as a tax plays into Romney's and Republicans' hands in November, and that certainly helps. Obama explicitly stated it wasn't a tax in campaigning for it, and it really will be the largest tax increase in history. But I remain pessimistic for two reasons. 1) There's no guarantee we can boot out the Democrats in Congress who brought us this abonimation and get the law repealed, even if it is easier since it's a "tax"; and 2) there are A LOT of Americans who want "free" healthcare, who are glad to see this passed and upheld. Even if Obamacare is repealed, the groundwork -- it's now constitutional -- for its return has already been laid. I can't help but feel we're pretty much doomed, if not now in a generation or two. Maybe not my daughters but my grandkids.
Well said!
ReplyDelete