Monday, November 5, 2012

Big Election

They say every election is the most important ever, but I do think this one is quite momentous, as a lot of the pundits have been writing.  Charles Krauthammer's weekend column said it best.

"An Obama second term means that the movement toward European-style social democracy continues, in part by legislation, in part by executive decree. The American experiment — the more individualistic, energetic, innovative, risk-taking model of democratic governance — continues to recede, yielding to the supervised life of the entitlement state.

If Obama loses, however, his presidency becomes a historical parenthesis, a passing interlude of overreaching hyper-liberalism, rejected by a center-right country that is 80 percent nonliberal."

I also liked this column by Ross Douthat (who is predicting an Obama win) and this one by Peggy Noonan.

I'm very cautiously optimistic about Romney pulling it out tomorrow.  I think the media is portraying it close because they ideologically want it that way but mostly for the drama and therefore ratings.  One of my buddies at work is confident enough that Romney will win that he's hosting a party to that effect, which I plan to attend.  Sure hope to be celebrating rather than sulking, like in 2008 when I tried to work while some of the guys got all excited at Obama's "soaring" speech in Grant Park.  I'm pretty sure most of them lost that magical hopey-changey feeling.  Now I'm hoping for change, to be delivered from the Obama program.

No comments:

Post a Comment