Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Saturday

Stopped at Safeway with the girls on the way to swim at the condo, picking up food for lunch and dinner.  We got in line to check out, then were called over to an open line by a cashier.  The girls stayed in the original line, playing with something.  I started to unload our cart and whistled for the girls to come over.  MM did, but no JoJo.  I hurried to keep unloading and told MM to get her sister.  A minute went by and it was too quiet, so I walked out of the check-out aisle to find them.  I could only see MM.  At this point I started to get worried and walked along the main aisle.  A guy noticed me and asked if I was looking for a little blonde girl in a purple t-shirt.  I said yeah and he said he just saw her running out the door.  I rushed over and sure enough, there she was, standing outside on the curb looking for us.  She must've thought we'd left without her.  Scared the crap out of me.  It was a good teaching moment, I suppose, and reminder that JoJo's la-la land has an unfunny downside.  Another check in my nomination for Father of the Year.

Later, we were all at the park practicing softball (Katie organized a team and we're playing at Kiwanis Park in Tempe).  Three young brothers were playing baseball across the way when one hit the ball right at the other's head.  I saw the one collapse while the hitter said "Oh Shit!" and told the youngest to go get their mom.  After a bit I figured I better go over there as an adult.  The poor guy had an enormous shiner and some blood coming out of his nose but otherwise was breathing okay and not dizzy.  We waited for his mom, and I told him he was tough for not crying.  They went to urgent care.

On the way home it was storming quite heavily to the south, with massive loads of lightning and heavy rains.  The girls and I decided that it was Francis, Baby 4, and God playing by turning on and off the lights in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Been there, done that. Do you remember going off with Katie at 967 Hancock circa 1992 and scaring the heck out of me? Better off when we don't even know what's happening as in HD - Jack-in-the-Box.

    ReplyDelete