Monday, September 2, 2013

My B-day Presents This Year

This year got me.  Other than turning 30, I actually felt pretty old on my birthday.  It was 20 years ago that we had a big family reunion in Texas.  I won glory with the lowest individual net score in the family golf tournament, even playing with Great Uncle Jack and Great Uncle Phil (not intimidating at all).  I was on the team of first-born sons that won too.  Wish my Grandpa had been there to see it.  It was 20 years ago that I got my driver license.  The examiner let me take two tries on the part you had to back into cones.  I used my Dad & Jay's old brown truck.  I was somewhat scared driving home on Hwy 95.  It was 20 years ago that I went to Denver for World Youth Day with my parish youth group.  Featha & B 'met' on this trip, and Featha dropped his walkman in the port-a-potty.  We wore huge sombreros and were the toast of the town.  The McDonald's food sucked.  We slept in an elementary school.  There was a sweet dude who had no arms and played the guitar with his toes.  Sweet enough that 'Obscene Sean' fell asleep during it (the chairs were comfortable).

At least this year I got some good gifts.  My Dad & Jay gave me the bread box of my youth and a good book to peruse.  My mom bought me a new softball mitt and a gun holster, a nice leather one from Galco.  Now I've got the full complement:  an inside-the-waist-band (IWB) holster, ankle holster, and an outside-the-waist-band (OWB).  Now if I can just get some more .40 cal ammunition....

No comments:

Post a Comment