Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sequoia Rear Latch Repair

The rear latch (at left, with small black plastic piece) on our 2002 Sequoia broke a couple weeks before Christmas.  It was going to cost around $300 or so at our local garage, $400 at the Toyota dealership to repair it, all for a silly little plastic part that broke, so I decided to take it on myself.  I ordered a metal replacement from ebay, cost $19, and tackled the project.  Of course, youtube was my steady guide.  There's actually several good videos out there, including this one.  Essentially what happens is the small black plastic piece that pushes the lever down when you pull the handle broke.  I yanked it out and managed to find a little tool to stick in there to depress the lever and open the door.  It's the only way to get the hatch open.  This was probably the hardest part.  Bobbins also helped me, and we finished it in about 3 hours, which included 30 minutes for two runs to Ace Hardware.  On a previous repair the mechanics did not install a nut on the key lock, and it being metric I purchased the wrong one initially.  My first ever car repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment