Sunday, February 2, 2014

Moey's Here !

Our sweet son arrived Tuesday at 4:03pm.  We named him Owen Michael and he came in at 8lbs 10oz and 21.25".  Bobbins started the labor that morning about 2am and woke me up a half hour later.  We stayed home till about 8:30 when Bobbins' dad arrived.  The hospital, Banner Good Sam, was only a mile away, which if you ask Bobbins was still a long, bumpy ways away.  We checked in at 9 and were VERY fortunate to get my co-worker's wife as our L&D nurse.  We've known them a while, so we could trust her, and she knew our desires for a natural VBAC.




The doula (pictured at left) we hired came with us to the hospital and was worth every penny (it was a lot) we paid for her.  She was very supportive to Bobbins and knew how to massage & oil her and overall what to do.  One of the many conclusions I drew after the experience was that birthing is women's work.  Throughout the whole process I was the only man in the room, and it should be that way.  Our doctor was also a very patient and patient-focused practitioner who didn't rush or pressure Bobbins in any way.  She too was great.





Our room was large and open and had a nice large bathtub with plenty of hot water that Bobbins availed herself of.  When I wasn't helping I read a magazine and did some praying, although the latter was too emotional for me.  When Bobbins was finally "complete," she pushed for about an hour, and the baby came relatively smoothly.  I immediately looked down at the crotch and saw it was a boy and was overcome with emotion.  What a cap to the whole experience.

It's hard to describe and I'm still processing it.  One very clear thing is the power of my wife.  She did it all on her own accord, no drugs or epidural.  She really wanted a VBAC and did it.  She wanted all natural and did it.  I was and am so proud and amazed by her.  What a woman.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for acknowledging Bobbins strength and the beauty of an all natural birth. It takes a very strong and focused woman to bring a child into this world without interventions. The pictures are beautiful and say it all. Perfect culmination to a prayerful journey. Treasure these moments. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all! I am so glad you all had such a wonderful experience together and that is all turned out how you wanted. She is an amazing woman and you are so blessed! Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Your best post by far! I disagree with one thing... It's not just women's work!! I know I would never want to go through labor (and I doubt I could) naturally without Kevin! He played a pivotal role and I bet S would say the same for you!

    ReplyDelete