I got back into softball. The dads from the girls' school got a team together for a City of Phx "D" rec league. We won our first two games and had a lot of fun. The second game of the second week I was pitching. Bobbins will tell you I shouldn't have been there at all. We had our pastor over for dinner and I left to go play. Mind you, she had forgot about the dinner, so Father showed up unexpectedly, and I had already committed to playing....
At any rate, near the game's end, a batter hit a hard liner right at me, and I instinctively put my hands in front of me stop it. The ball ended up hitting my non-glove hand and smashing my ring finger. I picked up the ball and threw the guy out. I tried to bat that inning but could barely grip the bat. I took myself out and iced it, then went home after we lost. The next day at work everyone said it looked bad and convinced me to go to urgent care, where an x-ray confirmed a fracture. Just to make sure, they referred me to a specialist. I didn't want to go but ended up going because it was my right hand.
Sure enough, it was actually 2 fractures (the urgent care doc missed one), the second on the joint. The specialist gave me the dire news in a worst case scenario and said surgery was a must.
Me with the splint from urgent care, and shots of the finger:
X-rays showing the damage:
No comments:
Post a Comment