Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Read-Out

Pretty depressed with the national outcome last night, obviously.  Romney could even match McCain's total, and Obama carried Paul Ryan's district...  The country is lost, and cannot be saved, as indicated by the sign at my buddy Dennis's house last night.  I fear we've crossed the Rubicon toward European social democracy.  We've reached the point where enough people who prefer to have Uncle Sam take care of them vote the Democrats into office to make that happen.  The 'people' would rather receive a check than take care of themselves.  And 'gay marriage' seems to have reached its tipping point.

This Corner post by Michael Walsh is probably the best analysis of the meaning of the loss I read.  I also liked this post's honest assessment of the situation.

As was pointed out to me today, "This too shall pass."  Looking on the bright side, Obama will inherit the mess of his own making.  And on the state level, Arizona did pretty well -- Flake won, Arpaio (whom I don't like) will remain a juicy thorn in the Left's side, the open primaries initiative failed, and the permanent extension of the 'temporary' tax cut also went down.  Would liked to have seen Parker win (we would've been represented by a Republican for the first time ever!) and bummed about Kirkpatrick, but on the whole positive.  So there's that.  And the fact that the Republican bench is quite deep, including lots of governors.  2016 only four years away.

1 comment:

  1. While I would like to take comfort in the thought that one day "this too shall pass" a quick glance to your West (California) and my East (Spain, Portugal and most especially Greece) tells me that once we cross the Rubicon of envy, dependency and the ever-expanding state, it is hard to cross back. This election was an opportunity to restore our fundamental faith in the power of individuals and of free association. That opportunity was lost. I pray it is not too late. I fear that it is.

    ReplyDelete