It started out as a normal Thursday. I was just about to get into the shower and get ready to drive the kids, including carpool, out to school. Bobbins had just awoken and was in the bathroom when she called out: "I think my water just broke!" The due date wasn't for another two weeks at most. The water had definitely broke, however, but there were no contractions. We called the midwife and she said just to rest in bed.
I drove the kids to school and told my boss I wouldn't be in. By noon Bobbins still wasn't progressing. She had some contractions in the mid-morning but nothing serious. I took O & TF to meet my buddy Dennis for lunch. It was still nice out, so Bobbins and I took several walks. We weren't in a major hurry to go to the hospital, although we wanted to get it done. We also had to wait for my sister to show up to watch the other kids, per tradition.
Finally some serious enough contractions started around 6 that we made the call, in consultation with the midwife, to drive down to St. Joe's on Thomas (where both girls were born). We got checked in and told a little fib about when the water had broke so they wouldn't freak out. We spent about an hour in maternity triage before they put us in a birthing room with a nurse, Cortney, who was fresh out of GCU Nurshing School. She tried to get Bobbins hooked up to everything, which Bobbins resisted. Thankfully, we were able to get things mostly the way we wanted, especially with Dr. Hervey. Lynnette, the midwife, was excellent too. We couldn't do this without her!
About 10pm it got real, and within the hour he was out! Another baby boy! Praise God. Bobbins was a champ, no surprises there. No epidural, nothing, just naturally pushed him out into the world, like Our Blessed Mother did. I got to cut the umbilical cord.
What a happy day, and blessing!




No comments:
Post a Comment