Tuesday, May 8, 2012

ASU Spring Game

Saturday 4/21 Coach, Zach, my dad, and I drove out to Tempe for the Sun Devils' spring game.  I was anxious to see the team, new coach, and new system in place after reading about it in the paper.
The verdict:  the team isn't great on either side of the ball but not terrible either.  The offense showed some flashes but had its share of problems, while the D was solid at points but also gave up some plays.  The running backs looked quite strong, and that was without Cameron Marshall, who's recovering from surgery.  I liked QB Mike Bercovici from last year, when he was the back-up.  Although he might not fit in Coach Graham's offense as much (which features running a QB), I think he's the right guy.  He possesses the intangibles and appears to be a leader.  A lot of folks are pulling for Michael Eubank, and he does have a lot of talent, but it's still raw.  Berco has a quick release and is very accurate.  He can move on bootlegs and should be serviceable enough on a few of the running plays.

Kicker Alex Garoutte remains a little too wobbly for my tastes, including on kick-offs.  The snapping and punt coverage was also weak.  Our own returns from punts and kick-offs was pretty good, but special teams might hurt us this year.

On the field after the game, when fans can mingle with the players, I was sure to tell all the guys I saw to beat UofA.  The team looks better disciplined and seems to be in better shape, so I'm hopeful on those counts.  It's going to be a bumpy year with so many new faces, but I feel good going into it.  I'm thinking 7-5.  GO DEVILS!

No comments:

Post a Comment