Sunday, May 16, 2010

Iron Man 2

Went with Feather today and we both enjoyed it.  I was a little afraid it would suffer the same fate as Spider Man 3 - too many plot points, too many villains.  One of the first reviews made this critique.  The film avoided this pitfall.  The Iron Man entrance scene set to AC/DC was very well done, and Mickey Rourke played a pretty good Russian bad guy.  Scarlett Johansson was a very welcome addition to the cast, and Gwenyth Paltrow didn't look too bad either.  The film hammered home the robotics revolution currently taking place in our military, with all the attendant issues about reliability, trustworthiness, humans vs. machines, ethics of drones, etc.  These are brilliantly discussed in the book Wired for War, by Peter Singer, which I highly recommend.  I also appreciated director Jon Favreau's gratuitous shout-outs to Americans and the US flag.  There's no doubt Iron Man is an American hero.

Iron Man 2 website

No comments:

Post a Comment