This past weekend when we were in BHC for a graduation, we cleaned out Granny's house, who is currently living with Christ. As sad as it was there were many great memories that came flooding back to everyone. There was an abundance of kitchen items, table linens, everything that reminds us of when women made a house a home. Almost all the food was made from scratch. French fry cutter, there were no Ore Ida hash browns or fries (which I have to admit are still pretty good), fries were made with a metal cutter that you squeezed the potatoes into and out came homemade love. There was a hamburger press, an omelet pan, and syrup spouts. The family grew up with a mom who knew how to be a mom and a wife, which was revealed when the bed room was cleaned.
However, me being the in-law made out with some pretty cool objects.These are the objects that make us smile whether it is because we say to ourselves "oh that was in Granny's house", or "gosh I should have lived in those times, imagine the household happiness."
box can replace my cardboard button container. All sewers have those buttons that have been collected from shirts that have extra buttons, or buttons we've found, or buttons we intend to use. Inside this recipe box there will be a new ideas and old ideas for the average use of a button.
Pillow cases that will be turned into dresses. Hand embroidered by Granny herself.
LAST but not LEAST!
My, I mean Marcelly's new doll house!
This was actually our cousin's who grew out of it and needed to pass on the love. So I bounced on this like a cat out of a bag. I found myself planning the new furniture and where I can put flower boxes. Of course Marcelly's can play with this too... when she is 10. For now it sits on a throne of out weighing all the doll houses ever created by matell, or barbie, or bratz, or polly. This is a small castle for the princess of, well, any European country for that matter. A small cottage that is tucked away near a small flowing river, where she can escape the trials of being royalty.
I have a few rooms finished with some furniture. This is just to give an idea of its beauty. Oh which by the way, the stairs actually take you to another room. Not just the ceiling.
A small mention to Melissa and Doug. I have liked your puzzles before, but now that I know you create doll furniture you are that much more important to me.
I. Love. It.
ReplyDeleteI love everything!!! I can't wait to see what you do with the pillow cases. I think it might be a little too much, but I really want to get baby-sitters so you and I can have a play date and play with your new, I mean Marcelly's new doll house! I always wanted one when I was little!!!
So funny. I never had one when I was a kid either. It is practically designing your dream house fun. We really sould put the kids outside and play, I mean design.
ReplyDeleteUm, Obviously I think everything you made out with is way cool! The yellow step stool is way cool and so much more original than mine. Love the recipe box an of course the dollhouse. But I will need you to fill me in on the Melissa and Doug making doll furniture thing because I have never seen it.... not that I need anymore. I did have a dollhouse as a child and have saved sooooo much to pass onto my maybe never to be daughter. I can't wait to fix up mine someday, but for now I will just let Jimmy use it to play with whatever he wants.
ReplyDeleteMaybe Jimmy can make his a man cave. You can get sports stuff and guy stuff. Just in case you needed a reason to buy more doll furniture. Yeah and Go Melissa and Doug for making doll furniture.
ReplyDelete